Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Andy's Student Teaching

This is from my second week of student teaching
6th Grade Architecture Project. This student is demonstrating his ionic column with a hydraulic lift.

A Max Ernst frottage (texture rubbing) above. Below are some students' own frottage art. I showed the second grade students various versions of rubbings and frottage works by surrealist artist Max Ernst. On the first day students were given some textured plates and asked to find other textures around the room to create 16 different rubbings on gridded paper. After they did that, they experimented with combining different textures and different colors. On the second day I showed students more surrealist work by Ernst and taught how he found hidden images when experimenting with the frottage technique and how the surrealists were inspired by dreams. Students were then asked to experiment more and to create their own surrealist animal or landscape as seen below. They really liked this project and each one stood up to tell the class what they had made and how they made it.




The third graders study art from various cultures. For this week we looked at the Hex sign folk art of the Pennsylvania Dutch.

2 comments:

Laura said...

WoW, I love the student's work. It excites me to look at them and imagine watching them create! I hope you are enjoying it too.

Jeanne said...

I love it too! Esp the 2nd to last one...brilliant! Great job Andy!