Saturday, January 14, 2012

Apple Picking

More pictures from 2012! I was very happy to find a new favorite local apple orchard, Salatin's, located out in Indiana where I frequented as much as possible this past year. This was most timely especially since Rouster's Apple House sadly closed down its orchard operation. I used to work at Rouster's and have fond memories of my work washing apples on an old conveyer belt, putting apples into crates, working a pallet jack to move larger crates of apples around, working the floor, keeping the stock up, offering apple samples and making apple sales. It was a great job. The taste of Rouster's apples were fine and they had a lovely atmosphere where one could sit by the fire and enjoy a homemade frozen cider pop. They also had wonderful old big hand painted apple signs. It was there I learned Stayman Winesaps are my favorite apples for eating. Rousters will still offer their u-pick operation for berries in the summertime. But for apples, Salatin's is my new spot.

Jake, Finn and Sarah came apple picking this year out at Salatin's. We brought a red wagon out into the orchard and Finn had lots of fun filling up the wagon with all the bruised and rotting apples that he found on the ground. Afterwards a picnic! A perfect fall outing with some of our favorite friends.

No comments: