Sunday, February 7, 2010

Whistle Pigs 'n Tubers

We had our 4th annual Groundhog Day Brunch yesterday. The snow did not keep our friends away. It was such a great time that we really were too preoccupied to take many pictures. So we can't show off the amazing spread of food. But we can share a few new details that added to the party this year.
On the front door a yarn wreath I made, with a hand felted groundhog holding a bunch of carrots in the center. Below are details from the spring mantle scene - mostly moss and felted radishes, carrots and woodland creatures.


A few root vegetable seed packets for the food table.
This year's party was all about groundhog music. So I wrote out the lyrics to a version of a Groundhog song on our kitchen chalk board. For anyone sensitive about hunting or eating meat, you made not want to look too closely at what the words say.
We handed out whistles for the big song.
Our friend Finn helped pass them out.
Jake performed a special version of Groundhog. He changed the lyrics to Whistle Pig and everyone whistled throughout.
CDs of Groundhog music were made for all of our guests.
I have to show this amazing groundhog cross stitch made by my good friend Katie! This was my favorite birthday gift! Oh my god it's so cute! She's holding a rutabaga!!!

5 comments:

ervin houston said...

Gosh, we wish Colleen could celebrate her birthday and Groundhog Day in some month like June or July! But maybe next year we'll just have to wrap ourselves in blankets, put studded tires on the car and brave it.

Jeanne said...

I'm sure it was a great party! Your wreath looks charming Colleen! And the cross stich is precious! :)

Dana said...

DUDE! I heart your Groundhog Day style. I heart Groundhog Day my own self. I wish I could come to all your traditions and celebrations. Good clean fun with a special lil twist. Keep em comin. Maybe someday I will be able to hook you up with a little groundhog grease. It is an Appalachian remedy for a cough. We've got 2 groundhogs in the freezer for the purpose of grease extraction, but it hasn't happened yet. (The groundhogs were not killed for the purpose of their grease, but rather by a friend's frisky dog...)
Love, Guess who

Colleen and Andy said...

Dude - hook up the groundhog grease! How exactly does one go about digesting groundhog grease for the purpose of remedying their coughs? Wow - 2 frozen groundhogs in your freezer. What a coinkydink. I've been wondering if anyone would ever bring groundhog meat to the brunch in a prepared dish. It hasn't happened yet. I bet if we threw this party in the mountains of North Carolina that would be a sure bet.

Alex Houston said...

Groundhog grease would make a great addition to the party fare for next year, but even with the absence of groundhog burgers it looks like you had another fun party. Love the decorations! We'll brave the snow one of these years and be there to celebrate with you.