
****
This is only my second movie review because I haven't seen very many inspiring movies this year. I can hardly think of any. Most movies don't capture you and steal you away til you are filled with so much feeling that you are almost numb. I have been anticipating this film for a very long time and it's ridiculous but I've been emotional just seeing previews, seeing stills or listening to the soundtrack (which my sweetheart of a husband gave me the eve of the movie release). However I understand that I'm not alone in this department. Many people I know have said they've been the same way. Whew! This film is moving. It is purely beautiful. It is a work of art. The aesthetic is perfect from the starry night sky to the wonderful twig built forts to the fabulous furry wild things. The boy, Max played by Max Record, is cast perfectly. He is expressive and wild and sad and sweet. The story is so engaging because it is a story that we remember and connect with and it reminds us of when we were kids and of loneliness and our wildest imagination. I kept thinking before I saw this movie how glad that I was that it was made for adults or older audiences. It's important and difficult for adults to connect with magical worlds. Imagination seemed so much more tangible as a little kid. I think we become or at least some us become instantly nostalgic and want to connect with that part of ourselves so much - and this movie is a perfect for that reason. I didn't mind the small liberties taken with the story at all - that some critics have pointed out- where for instance the boy according to the book would be sent to his room after acting out but in the movie he runs out into the street. It was very smooth transition and felt real. Max was instantly in the outside world and soon enough we was running through the woods and and then at a water's edge, where there was a boat to take him away to another land. The Wild Things themselves are a wonderful bunch with the main one Carol, played by James Gandolofini who is the best! They are happiest when they sleep in giant piles and howl in a big group. They are also charged with their own feelings and have jealousy and sadness and loneliness. The puppets are magnificently created by Jim Henson puppet shop. One of my favorite scenes is when Carol shows Max a model of an imaginary world he build for his Wild Thing Family out of twigs. It is a breathtaking sight. The ending is quite powerful and sad when Max leaves the world of Wild Things. They had grown so close. It really all in all is a wonderful movie down to every detail - the soundtrack by Karen O of the Yeah Yeah Yeahs which I love, suits the movie perfectly. Andy and I predict it will be getting Oscar for Best Adapted Screenplay because really it is such a lovely and artistic interpretation of the original story. Go see it in IMAX if you can.
2 comments:
I really really want to go see this movie. Why oh why do we not have a babysitter??? Friends are going Thursday night, but I think we'll have to skip it unless we can find someone to take on Q duty. :(
I wish we were there to take on Q duty for you guys! You really should see it on the big screen. You'll love it.
Post a Comment