The reason why we decided to start an apple butter tradition is because we are carrying on the tradition of Tommy and Vicky Concannon. My dad was like an adopted son to Tommy. And so Tommy and Vicky were very much like grandparents to me. Spending time with them made a great impression on me. I don't exactly remember when they started or stopped making apple butter but when I was a kid they did it every fall. I remember how many people came to stir the pot and eat good food and visit. It was always a wonderful time. I know as a young adult I wished it was a tradition that was still alive and well. When I was 19, I sat in Tommy and Vicky's kitchen and copied down their apple butter recipe. I told them that someday I would continue to make apple butter. This year Vicky passed on and that was when I got serious about finding a kettle. Making apple butter now is a way for us to honor Tommy and Vicky and remember them - they were the most gracious and loving people I've every known. They treated everyone like family. So our Apple Butter is for them.
Thursday, November 5, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Really beautiful Colleen! You put on a fabulous apple butter celebration and made it all your own by introducing the apple pie competition! :) It was amazing to watch their apple butter video the day after, hearing Tommy's voice again and seeing them really touched me.
Post a Comment