Monday, January 10, 2011

Homemade Bread


A good resolution to start out the year - bake more bread! I was inspired by my friend Eduard who bakes bread every Sunday. And that's what I'm going to attempt. As many Sundays as possible I'll try a new bread recipe to hone my skills. I am a bit obsessed with the good bread we buy from Blue Oven Bakery and I aspire to make bread like theirs. Who knows - If I keep this up, maybe I can convince Ando to build a wood fired bread oven in the backyard?

For the first batch, above, I picked a fairly easily recipe - a Whole-Grain Irish Soda Bread. The nice thing about a soda bread is you don't have to wait for the dough to rise. The result was satisfying. I could feel my confidence building and was ready for something a bit more challenging.

Next up - Struan, a Scottish multigrain loaf. Supposedly it originates from the town of Struanmoor on the Isle of Skye and perhaps also from a Gaelic name meaning 'the convergence of streams'. Well, as you might guess I picked this recipe from the description just for Ando. This bread was a two day process but well worth the result. It makes lovely sandwich bread as well as toast.



My first golden loaf of Struan! There will probably be more bread posts to share throughout the year! If you'd ever like a recipe just let me know and I'll do my best to send one your way.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well done. You are brave to start of with these kind of breads. And look at the results: Whow. My bread from last week was a disaster. Yes I would love the recipe from the scottish bread. Keep on baking.
Eduard.

Colleen and Andy said...

Thanks for the encouragement Eduard! You are my inspiration. I'll be sure to email you the Struan recipe!

Sarah and Jake said...

Beautiful! Yes, build that bread oven!

Jeff said...

Game on. I've picked up bread making just in the past couple weeks, too! A couple nice loaves so far, plus a couple rush jobs (I like instant gratification) that yielded ok but not awesome results. Looking forward to sharing the fruits of our labors with each other. Contest at our next gathering? ;)