Saturday, August 28, 2010

Give It Up to Dana Dee

Some of my most inspiring friends are those I made while attending Warren Wilson College in the Blue Ridge Mountains. One of my very first friends at school was Dana Dee, who has now bought herself some acreage in those mountains and is working on building herself a homestead. She's picked the spot of her future home and garden and is working to clear that area, felling trees and even brought a portable sawmill to cut the boards for her future house. It's a huge amount of work which I've been watching from afar, luckily she keeps an awesome blog. She's been hosting weekend work parties and has been involved in every little aspect. I can't wait to go visit and see the progress for myself and lend a small hand. I'm so happy for her and had to share a few of her pictures to show off her handiwork.
One of the large burn piles from the clearing
That's D tiding up a burn pile
Felled trees which she's using to build her home
A local bad ass named Carl who's working with D to saw and stack her lumber


Some of her stacks
Dana in front of boards which will become her new house looking pretty dang happy.

3 comments:

Dana said...

Wow. What a sweet Sunday morning surprise! I am so proud and honored to be featured on your blog. It was interesting to see the photojournal and imagine I was someone who didn't know me. It looks wild! I can't wait for you to see the place in person. I'm really hoping to have my camper up there by then, but everything in time. Holler at me and let's review the dates of the girls' camping extravaganza...

Colleen and Andy said...

I can't wait to see your place either and can't wait to camp there. I will work too. Love, Colleen

Laura said...

I hope I can come up to Dana's and see you then! Let's be in touch!